Approved by the FDA back in 2001, Essure was marketed as “permanent birth control.” It was meant to be a non-surgical alternative to having your “tubes tied,” but thousands of women have reported severe side effects and questioned the safety of the device.
Essure side effects
The reported Essure side effects range from short-term, mild pelvic pain to long-term side effects and even death. Some women noted problems during the insertion procedure while others reported long-term complications that required surgery.
The most common side effects include:
- The fallopian tube, uterus, and colon perforation
- Unintended pregnancies, including ectopic pregnancies, which are life-threatening
- Vaginal bleeding
- Weight gain
- Allergic reaction to nickel
- Autoimmune disorders
Sadly, Essure is even reported to have caused several deaths, including eight adult deaths, 20 miscarriages, four reports of infant death after live birth, and 300 fetal deaths. Complaints of these adverse side effects first led to the FDA ordering stronger “black box” warnings for Essure, and eventually caused Bayer, the device maker, to discontinue sales and marketing of the product in 2018.
Essure lawsuit facts
Have you or a loved one suffered from Essure side effects? You may be eligible for compensation. Here’s what you need to know about the Essure lawsuit:
- Nearly 39,000 women have sued Bayer or hired lawyers over their use of Essure. Most lawsuits allege that Essure is defective and unreasonably dangerous, and Bayer failed to properly train doctors and warn consumers of its side effects.
- In August 2020, Bayer paid $1.6 billion to end virtually all of the U.S. Essure lawsuits. However, Bayer did not admit wrongdoing or liability in the settlement. The company stands by Essure’s safety and efficacy.
- Bayer is using a legal defense called preemption. Federal preemption laws have to do with how Essure devices are classified and Essure being FDA-approved. This legal defense makes Essure an unusual and slightly more complicated case. But, the good news is, judges have allowed cases against Bayer to proceed despite the defense.
Filing an Essure Lawsuit
If you or a loved one has been implanted with the Essure device and experienced adverse side effects as mentioned above, you are eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit. Work with an experienced personal injury attorney to recover the compensation you deserve.
Call Mark Petro of Petro Accident and Injury Attorneys to Take Legal Action
Call Petro Accident and Injury Attorneys today for a free consultation about your case. Mark Petro has built a reputation of being the go-to guy to get personal injury claims like this handled in a manner that maximizes the amount of recovery so that you get what you deserve sooner rather than later. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by calling our personal injury law firms in Alabama. Call Mark and let us fight for you!
Request a FREE copy of Mark’s book, The Truth About Injury Claims here.